Some of you may remember our last post, in which we shared 5 ways IT Manages You, IT Managers, instead of you managing it. We discussed how the sheer number of fallible devices combine to make IT systems misbehave at the most inconvenient times.
In fact the preventative-maintenance aspects of managing IT systems can take centre-stage in your career for far too long. Therein lies the great potential, and irony, of automation.
The Irony of Automation Recently a Reddit user named FiletOfFish1066 became infamous for automating almost all of the tasks he was assigned at his company. He boasted on Reddit that he had done nearly nothing at work for the last six years.
But eventually, his company found out and promptly fired him. He had automated himself out of a job.
Now, at NetGain Systems, we don't condone lazy employees, but this is definitely a good example of how network monitoring can make life better. The real takeaway however is this: with all the time savings FiletOfFish1066 made from automation, he could have made himself more valuable. But he did just the opposite.
Don't be like FiletOfFish1066. Here's 5 ways NetGain Systems can make your life better today, and make you more valuable tomorrow. 1. You won't have to deal with sudden pressure from superiors Have you ever been reprimanded just because your CEO couldn't access any of the company's various IT systems for all of 5 minutes?
It might have happened during the crucial 30 minutes after midnight which your vendor had chosen to patch its software. How unlucky that your CEO had to choose those exact moments while the services were rebooting to access them.
Solution? A network monitoring system that alerts you when systems are approaching failure. If you are notified of potential problems before they happen, you can take proactive measuers to avoid the ire of your superiors.
2. You wouldn't need to always sacrifice family time An automated network monitoring system notifies you of potential faults or failing systems via SMS or email, before anything goes wrong. You won't need to leave halfway during dinner or interrupt a movie date to tend to IT emergencies.
NetGain Systems also provides free network topologies and 3D maps of device locations, to make finding faulty devices easier so you save even more time at work. All of which helps you go home promptly to spend more time with your family.
3. You can free up time to to do work that is more valuable Every minute that you're not spending on fighting fires or locating system faults is a minute you can be using to add value to your company.
Think of all the things you can achieve: you can now tear yourself away from the office to attend more tech conferences, and upgrade your knowledge and skills to extend your capabilities. And that's just a start.
4. You won't have to live with constant insecurity Is your CEO giving an important presentation to big clients tomorrow? Are you worried that the office network may go down just when he needs to access the cloud?
With NetGain Systems, you'll be able to easily ensure that your systems maintain the performance and reliability you need. And you don't even need to be in the office. All you need is a web-browser on your computer or smart phone to monitor thousands of parameters, such as traffic flow bandwidth, network access speeds, hard drive S.M.A.R.T. values and more.
You'll get performance logs as well, so you can create heat maps for potential faults and over-capacity. This helps you spend your future IT budget wisely, so you'll be saving twice when you buy NetGain Systems. Don't forget to remind your boss that “a dollar saved is a dollar earned.”
5. You don't have to spend half your days tweaking DIY solutions Speaking of saving money, let's say your boss recognises the importance of having a network monitoring system, but has asked you to implement a free, open-source solution.
Open-source software may work for your company, but there are also many pitfalls, such as relying on developers to fix bugs during their free time, nightly builds which can cripple components overnight, and other hidden costs like security risks. These will all become your problems, unlike with NetGain Systems.
Cost-effective, Customisable & Customer-Oriented NetGain Systems is a balanced option that strides the sweet spot between free, open source software and expensive custom-made solutions. Plus, we have a local R&D and product support team, so you can get direct support for your issues.
NetGain Systems highlights include: Plug-and-play ease-of-installation: one hardware device to monitor thousands of devicesLower cost – you pay by number of devices monitored instead of elementsUnified dashboards; user-friendly interfaceService-oriented customisation; we add the options you needFounded in Singapore, based in AsiaGlobal IT monitoring infrastructure & capabilitiesMore than 14 years track record Our happy customers include major government agencies and financial institutions in Singapore. Want to experience the benefits of NetGain Systems?
Try a free demo today, or talk to one of our resellers about how NetGain Systems Network Monitoring.can help you add more value to your employers, increase efficiency, and bolster your performance on the job.
To say that information technology is complex is an understatement.
IT networks are made up of interconnected devices and computers that can go wrong, components within those devices and computers that can go wrong - all driven by software with millions of lines of code that can go wrong.
This complexity means that in day-to-day operations, your IT personnel are actually slaves to the information systems they are paid to manage, in the following ways:
1. Your IT team relies on other end users for fault notifications. For proof that your IT staff have become servants to their creations, look at fault reporting.
A common scenario is the IT department leaving happily at the end of the work day, only to receive complaints during dinner from other staff working overtime. Maybe a network is down or someone can't log into the company's email. Or perhaps someone's hard disk has crashed, wiping out months of hard work.
Information technology specialists should be the first to know when their information technology goes wrong.
But most of the time, the IT department is the very last to know.
2. The IT team, not the system, diagnoses and tracks down faults. Most IT teams these days don't deal with mice and monitors. Instead, they are hired to build and run high-performance, highly secure, highly reliable and robust mission-critical IT systems.
These high-end systems tend to be vital to the company's bottom line and reputation, like order databases, e-commerce gateways, customer relationship management systems, or systems that monitor billable hours.
These require hardware and software integration across multiple platforms, user nodes and physical locations. So when something goes wrong, fault isolation can turn into a nightmare.
The longer it takes to rectify faults, the more downtime is incurred, creating stress, morale problems, and higher IT staff turnover.
3. The IT team is always fighting fires. There's nothing proactive about fixing problems only when they occur. Ideally, your team should be deciding what to do to prevent IT problems, when to do those things, and how to do them.
In short, managing information technology.
Service recovery and crisis management skills are good to have, but they shouldn't become essential to your IT staff.
4. Your IT team's jobs are always on the line. Downtime for mission-critical systems can cost business, opens a company to ridicule from competitors and customers, and harms its reputation. In companies that need to be accountable to their shareholders, somebody in your IT department may have to take one for the team.
Your IT staff may hence realise the importance of fault-reporting and isolation solutions that can accelerate troubleshooting, predict and prevent failures and help maintenance to keep everything running smoothly.
Monitoring solutions like these allow the IT department to tell the CEO, “We nearly had some downtime today but we fixed the issue before that could happen.” In short, it never happened.
This frees up the IT department's resources to add real value to the business by deploying their special skillsets to enhance and enable business growth - saving their jobs.
5. Your IT team spends more time on software development than IT management. Having arrived at the above conclusions, your IT staff may still be reluctant to ask for money to buy a turnkey monitoring soluton (think self-redundancy fears), so they may try open-source instead.
But an open-source solution needs to be customised to fit the needs of your company. Customisation can introduce bugs which may compromise the information security of your company.
Plus, customising open source software requires time, which turns your IT department into full-time software developers instead of IT managers.
Happily, since they are good IT professionals, they will be considering network monitoring solutions that don't cost the world, like NetGain.
Cost-effective, Customisable & Customer-Oriented A network monitoring system is an essential component of IT best practices to reduce faults, isolate them quickly, and increase the mean time between failures.
NetGain does this by monitoring the health and performance of all devices on your networks. It sends email, SMS or dashboard notifications if triggering events occur, such as when devices or networks fall below certain performance benchmarks.
And because NetGain comes with integrated topology mapping, you can automate fault reporting, simplify fault-isolation, and hasten service recovery.
Other key features include: Lower cost – you pay by number of devices instead of elementsUnified dashboard; user-friendly interfaceService-oriented customisation; we add the options you needCustomer-centric tech support teamFounded in Singapore, based in AsiaGlobal IT monitoring infrastructure & capabilitiesMore than 14 years track record Our happy customers include major government agencies and financial institutions in Singapore. Try a free demo of NetGain today, or talk to one of our resellers about how we can help your staff add more value to your business, increase profits, and bolster the reputation of your company.